Lost? Here You Go. You Can Thank Me Later.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

It Looks Like It's Going to Rain...

Hello, reader.

It has been a while since my last entry. I did not realize HOW long until I crossed paths recently with a former coworker. Like so many interactions in life, most of interpersonal dialogue tends toward superficial moments you're both currently experiencing such as, "It looks like it's going to rain."

"So what happened to your blog?" she asked instead. "You were writing regularly, then just stopped."

I dunno, I thought. The skies look plenty clear to me. 

Then it occurred to me this conversation was not about rain.

I have a blog?

"Oh," I said. "The one about my daughter? I didn't think anyone read that."

"Well I did," she said. "So you should get back to it."

"Sure," I said, laughing. "I'll get right on that."

So I did.

It is easy to lose track of time when one is absorbed in the day-to-day. I have to remind myself that there are plenty out there who love and pray for my daughter, but don't have the luxury of seeing her on a daily basis.

So in no specific order, here are some selections of what's happened in Miriam's life since my last entry. Consider it a Five-Minute Catchup:

***

Miriam is twelve years old and currently in the seventh grade. With her speech device, she is slowly growing a more complex vocabulary.

She recently used her device to tell us to Stop because we were not attending to her fast enough. A couple of times, if she did not get her way, she announced I am angry.

She has also started this new expression of a lower-lip and exasperated breath, the pffffbb of someone irritated when she bored.

Yep. She's a pre-teen.





The Good News: 
Since being on the ketogenic diet, Miriam's seizures went from 1-5/week to none in over two years. Extraordinary.

The Also Good News: 
Mom and caregiver diligence has helped reduce Miriam's "tone-tantrums." This means she is not so stiff when she's uncomfortable and burning so many calories. She's grown over an inch and is finally gaining weight.


The Not So Great News: 
Replacing her leg-joint back into its socket during her double-hip surgery revealed serious scoliosis of the lower back. She's now using a brace regularly (with Batman labels, naturally). The specter of back surgery looms in her future.

Making lemons into lemonade, Sharla wants to use the gnarly metal rods that were removed from Miriam's hips to hang curtains. Or melt them down into cool 80s punk jewelry. Rad!


Upon becoming twelve years old, Miriam now attends the Young Women's program in our church. She was kindly welcomed with fun chalk drawings on her birthday. 











She attended her first church Girls Camp at Ensign Ranch, east of the Cascades. Upon her return, I saw a very, very happy and exhausted girl, excited to show off her beads she had earned.


















With her permission, she donated her long, long hair to Locks of Love, getting a certificate in the process.















Meanwhile, her Mom graduated from South University with a B.A. in Health Science after nearly five years of online classes. She and I flew to Savannah, Georgia for the graduation and a great weekend celebrating our 23rd Anniversary.

We are thankful to those friends and caregivers who worked together to watch Miriam while we were away!





Miriam's brother Alex graduated from high school, earned his Eagle Scout award, and left earlier this year to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He is serving in Colorado for two years, without pay, and enjoys the experience.

Just the other day, Miriam mentioned on her device––with no prompting––

Something's Wrong.

I Miss

Brother.

Yes, she does.





There'a a good deal more to share, but I promised five minutes...and my time is up.

Thanks for reading.

(And yes, it does look like rain. At least by tomorrow.)


4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you're back online! Miriam is becoming a lovely young lady. And I can't believe how grown-up Alex looks! Huge congratulations to Sharla, that's awesome. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tavares family! Came across this on Facebook and it was wonderful to read about your family and see how your children have grown. The Fidler family says hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing family, amazing Miriam. I loved it all. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! So glad for this five minute catch-up!! She is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete